Earlier this month @ArielleKlein and I got to enjoy the annual Kosher Food & Wine Experience at Chelsea Piers in NYC. If you haven’t been, it’s basically a large event space with 30-40 booths of kosher restaurants and caterers and another 30-40 tables of kosher wineries from around the world (but mainly the US & Israel of course). Thousands of Jews of all shapes and sizes attend, and it’s a generally fun event all around.
Attending specifically to capture the “best” food, I forcibly had to pull myself away from shmoozing with my friends who I haven’t seen in months / years, (or ever since we met on Twitter), and make sure to try ALL the food put forth by the restaurants … or whatever is available when I get to their table.
Arielle already wrote about her favorite dessert dishes from this year’s event, which you can read here.
Based on what I tried this year, here are my favorites:
- Abigael’s – Vietnamese Chicken: Stir Fried Bell Peppers, Napa Cabbage and Bok Choy with sweet & sour sauce. Well presented.
- Basil – Artic Char & Icelandic Cod Crudos: 1) Artic Char, Kirby pickle with Salmon roe caviar, avocado mousse and jalapeño + 2) Icelandic Code Crudo with grape/caper tapenade. Very different and excellent choice for a dairy restaurant at a heavily meat event.
- Le Marais – Grilled Hanger Steak: with a ragu of winter veggies. Prepared hot, cooked perfectly, juicy and soft. Delicious.
- The Prime Grill – Porcini Kobe Sliders. If I didn’t know any better, I would’ve thought there was cheese on it. My favorite of the night.
- Citron and Rose – Kasha & Mushroom Knish: smoked kasha, wild mushrooms and potato with carrot mustard and tsimmes. Was just underwhelmed by this choice from the new fancy Philly restaurant that I’ve heard such great things about.
- Pardes had an interesting dish that had many unique ingredients and flavors, but I think it was just too out there. Sometimes simple is better. They are quite inventive though.
While I didn’t focus on the non-restaurants in attendance there were two tables I have to mention:
- Hakadosh BBQ – 15 our Apple & Hickory Wood Smoked Beef Brisket
- Jack’s Gourmet – Facon (fake bacon)