Kosher bakeries, restaurants, and cafes around the world have already started prepping their kitchens for the oncoming onslaught of fried-dough fiends hitting their shops. In Israel, eateries have been hawking sufganiyot the second Sukkot ended back in October.
For the purists out there who go out of their way to enjoy delicious fried foods during Chanukah, we wanted to compile a list of amazing kosher donuts, sufganiyot, and sfinj (Moroccan donuts) you can find around the world.
Please note that some of these places only serve these delicious fried foods around Hanukkah time, so call or message them in advance if you’re not sure. Also, these donuts can be pareve, dairy, or meat. Always ask to make sure.
There are obviously hundreds of kosher places that make amazing donuts, sufganiyot, and even sfinj around the globe. Here are some of our picks. If there are ones that we glaringly left off this list, comment below with your recommendations.
Listed by type, not ranked:
- Frena Bakery – San Francisco, CA – Traditional Sufganiyot
- Delice Bakery & Cafe – Los Angeles, CA – Traditional Sufganiyot
- Boulangerie Murciano – Paris, France – Traditional Sufganiyot
Gombo’s Heimishe Bakery – Brooklyn, NY – Traditional Sufganiyot
- Bagel Nosh – Lakewood, NJ – Traditional Sufganiyot
FLAVORED SUFGANIYOT & FANCY DONUTS
Cafe Chocolat – Cedarhurst, NY – Fancy Square Cronuts
- Cheskie’s – Montreal, QC, Canada – Flavored Sufganiyot
- My Zaidy’s Bakery – Toronto, ON, Canada – Flavored Sufganiyot
Hava Java – Monsey, NY – Fancy Donuts
- Kadosh – Jerusalem, Israel – Fancy Donuts & Sufganiyot
- BATA – Jerusalem, Israel – Donut Holes
Sesame – Brooklyn, NY – Flavored Sufganiyot
- Bakerie – Brooklyn, NY – Flavored Sufganiyot
- בית העוגות (Bet Haugot) – Upper Galil, Israel – Sfinj
Paprika – New York, NY – Sfinj
FLEISHIG (MEAT) SUFGANIYOT
- Izzys BBQ’s – Brooklyn, NY – Lamb Bacon Donuts
- Grill 212 – New York, NY – Traditional & Maple Double (Beef) Bacon Sufganiyot
Also, here’s our 2015 list of the best sufganiyot in Israel.
H/T to Miriam Pascal, Chanie Apfelbaum, and Rachelle Belne