What was once impossible to find, Sushi has become so popular in the Jewish community over the past 15 years, every restaurant wants to get in on the action.
Delis, pizzerias, non-Japanese Asian eateries such as Chinese and Thai restaurants, have all jumped on the Sushi bandwagon. When I first tried Sushi over ten years ago, I absolutely hated it, but now I can’t get enough of this delicious finger food. (That’s right! The traditional way to eat Sushi is with your hands, not with chopsticks!)
So here are a few places I recommend in NYC. If you have some favorites of your own, please add them by commenting to this post.
- Mr. Broadway – Broadway, Midtown Manhattan – A great deli with Sushi bar up front. Some of the best tasting Sushi I have had. Try the “Atlantic Roll” with Tuna, Avocado, and fresh Mango. Awesome!
- Jerusalem 2 Pizza (J2) – Broadway, Midtown Manhattan -Famous for its pizza (although it’s not too great anymore), J2 has expanded it’s menu and has a Sushi bar behind the sandwich area. You can pick up a pre-made roll or request a chef’s special roll. The rolls are surprisingly large, tasty, and inexpensive.
- Estihana – W 79th st., Upper West Side – Expensive but good Sushi. Popular date place. Also has a restaurant on Ave. J in Brooklyn.
- Fujihana – Ave. U, Brooklyn – Fujihana introduced me to Sushi. They are well known for their wide Japanese and Asian menu.
- Sushi Metsuyan – Central Ave., Cedarhurst – The Sushi is good, the atmosphere is amazing. The wall has a built in fish tank with exotic fish and other sea creatures. Great date place! They have 3 additional Sushi restaurants around the NY metro area including Teaneck, Queens, and Monsey.