As a self proclaimed board game fanatic, I grew up playing all of the board game classics. As an adult, I’ve outgrown the Monopoly’s and Guess Who’s of the gaming world and I’ve graduated to strategy games: Games that make you think and don’t rely on too much luck or chance.
I think these are the types of games that help teach kids how to think and plan ahead as well as keep adults interested in playing more.
Given that we’re all going to be stuck at home for the foreseeable future, and even if we weren’t these would be amazing games for Shabbat and future chagim/yom tovim.
Here are my favorite picks:
- The Settlers of Catan – this might be the greatest game of all time. It mixes the right amount of strategy, luck, and interpersonal play that makes this game one that you can play thousands of times and not get bored. Has great expansion sets for multiple versions and added players.
- Carcassone – this is a map building game that older kids can learn easily, but takes a while to master. Has great expansion sets.
- Dominion – this is a deck building game that anyone can be good at. The multitude of cards and expansions make this game fun for a long time.
- 7 Wonders – this is a fun a quirky game that takes some time to learn but is fun when mastered. Has great expansion sets.
- Agricola – this is the most difficult game of the set and I would only recommend this game to hard core gamers. This game has next to no luck involved and requires the most strategic thinking.
- Splendor – this game is easy to learn and play right out of the box.
- Ticket to Ride – this game is great for adults and kids, and is also a great way to learn geography. Lots of map versions.
- Monopoly Deal – this card game is almost nothing like the board game and can be completed really quickly. Kids and adults both enjoy this game, and it’s also easy to take on vacation.
- Codenames – this word based game is great for adults and older kids that helps you use your brain.
For those wanting to play a game that best describes the COVID-19/coronavirus spread, Pandemic is one that best teaches your family this phenomena.
What are you favorite strategy games to play with your friends and family? Comment in the section below.
Note: Purchases via the Amazon link may earn YeahThatsKosher a small referral.