The following was originally published in the COR’s Pesach Guide 2013.
Below is a list that addresses common scenarios for those people who are not staying home for the Pesach holiday.
AT YOUR PRIMARY RESIDENCE:
If leaving more than 30 days before Pesach (and not returning until after Pesach):
- No bedika required
- Must sell chametz and must declare Kol Chamira before the latest time for owning chametz on Erev Pesach
If leaving less than 30 days before Pesach:
- Bedika required
- Must be performed at night by candlelight before you leave this location
- No bracha is said (unless the bedika is being done on Bedika Night)
- Kol Chamira is said. If the bedika is not being done on Bedika Night, substitute bershusi (in my possession) with bebaisa hadain (in this house).
- One could also appoint a shaliach (agent) to perform the bedika on their behalf on Erev Pesach
- It is more appropriate to perform a bedika rather than to absolve oneself of the requirement to have a bedika performed by selling the entire house on the 13th of Nissan. In case of need, speak to your Rabbi.
- Must sell chametz and must declare the regular Kol Chamira before the latest time for owning chametz on Erev Pesach
AT YOUR DESTINATION (HOTEL):
- If you brought in chametz: Bedika with bracha required
- If chametz was not brought in: Bedika without bracha required
IF AT YOUR DESTINATION, PESACH WILL START AND END AT DIFFERENT TIMES THAN YOUR PRIMARY RESIDENCE, THERE ARE A NUMBER OF FACTORS THAT YOU MUST BEAR IN MIND WHEN SELLING CHAMETZ.
When selling chametz make sure that:
- the chametz will be sold before the latest time for owning chametz in the place that you are staying
- if the chametz being sold is not in the location where you are staying for Pesach, it is preferable to also make sure that the chametz will be sold before the latest time for owning chametz in that location.
In regard to repossessing your chametz after Pesach:
- If the Rabbi will be buying back the chametz before Pesach is over for you at your destination:
- you should declare that you wish not to take possession of the “bought back” chametz until after
- it would be preferable to make this declaration to the Rabbi when you sell your chametz to him before PesachIt is also preferable not to repossess “bought back” chametz if the chametz is in a location where it is
Created by Rabbi Chaim Dovid Kulik