Pin It

Jezebel Changes Name and Certification

jezebel-j-logo-kosher-nyc-sohoSince it’s opening, Jezebel has faced many untrue rumors, mainly that it isn’t really kosher. Kosher diners have also taken issue with the name that is meant to be after a decades-old movie, but for most, it conjured up the biblical Israelite queen accused of being promiscous, thus an odd name for a kosher institution.

Due to these issues, Jezebel’s ownership has decided to rename itself “J Soho” which will allow them to keep their “J” logo. They are also changing their certification to the Orthodox Union (OU), a world renowned symbol of kashrut, that will be put them in the mainstream with kosher diners. They will also no longer serve non-mevushal wine.

Jezebel_movie-poster

We reviewed the restaurant a few weeks back and found the experience to be the most unique of any kosher restaurant in the NYC area.

Jezebel decided that these changes were the best decisions for the restaurant and their kosher keeping clientele. Only time will tell how these changes will affect the restaurant.

Tags: , , , ,

16 Responses to “Jezebel Changes Name and Certification”

1. And Solo’s becoming a PIZZA JOINT? Are they kidding me?

February 19, 2013 at 9:38 pm
  2. melindakitchentested #

I’m sad about the name change. I think the name Jezebel is very cool and if people aren’t going to eat at a kosher restaurant because of it’s name, they have some issues!

February 19, 2013 at 9:39 pm
    • You underestimate the power of Jewish stupidity in some communities.

February 20, 2013 at 9:00 am
    • ari_free #

I dunno. Would you eat at Haman Nosh or Amalek’s Cake Bake?

February 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm
  3. jessica matthews #

crazy changes for a new restaurant!

February 20, 2013 at 8:06 am
  4. Let’s get it straight. Jezebel isn’t just an odd choice for a name. The people who chose it had to be smoking something. The main issue concerning Jezebel in the Hebrew Bible is not promiscuity; she set out to murder G-d’s prophets. See Kings 1, chapter 19 where she threatens to kill Elijah. How could anyone think this is a good name for a restaurant where kosher-observant Jews would eat?

That they’ve now changed it to the generic “J,” a letter that has become synonymous with anything Jewish (J Date, J Street, J whatever) is somehow even more lame and desperate. Other than the review on yeahthatskosher.com, everyone I’ve spoken to has said this place is crazy prices for decent food. That’s why I’m saving my money for Pardes in Brooklyn or Nobo in Teaneck.

February 20, 2013 at 8:30 am
    • I agree with the name change as a business decision. However, I don’t agree with that name change. Agree that the “J” name is generic and meaningless.

February 20, 2013 at 8:58 am
    • I love the original name. It was clearly out of the box and from the first time I heard of it, there was an appeal, something made me stop and think about this place. Jezebel’s reputation for a must-dine experience is being talked about nationwide, and although they might have had a rocky start, they were thinking differently.

The name J Soho doesn’t have the tiniest ounce of innovation, or subtle sex appeal that we look for in a dining experience. It sounds like a whole in the wall.

I wish the place every success, and I sure hope they ran a focus group or two before moving away from a pretty powerful first impression.

February 22, 2013 at 1:44 pm
  5. Ronnie Fein #

What’s in a name? A rose by any other name smells as sweet. IMHO the anger over the name is nonsense. But the restaurant is great and I suppose they had to do this to keep the troops calm.

February 22, 2013 at 7:57 am
  6. Ari Braunstein #

Being the only kosher restaurant to serve non mevushal wine is a huge deal to stop that too. I’m sorry I didn’t get to go before this ridiculous name change/pandering to frumies on super kashrut

February 24, 2013 at 2:40 am
    • Hasn’t officially gone into affect yet. You can still go while it’s still Jezebel.

February 24, 2013 at 8:47 am
  7. Thejewishhostess #

The name change is very boring but the atmosphere is a lot of fun and great for those who want to eat out without feeling like they are in borough park. Let’s see if they change the not typically Jewish artwork on the walls or the sexy waitresses…..

February 26, 2013 at 10:35 pm
  8. LilMissCakes #

If they think a name change will help business, I think thats a good decision, but I don’t eat at restaurants based on the name! I go by the food, who cares about the name? Jezebel sounds cool to me.

February 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. J Soho (Formerly Known as “Jezebel”) to Close This Week | Kosher & Jewish Travel Guide | Kosher Restaurants • YeahThatsKosher.com - November 7, 2013

[…] They removed the name Jezebel after switching kosher certifying agencies to the OU earlier this year. […]